East Sussex search for two missing fishermen called off

Sunday 22nd November 2020 18:45 GMT

Two RNLI lifeboats and a helicopter were sent out on Saturday after the Joanna C sent out a distress signal at around 6am.

A man was found clinging to a lifebuoy and was pulled from the water. Authorities continued looking for the other two crew members until 11pm.

HM Coastguard confirmed that the search, which resumed at 7.30am Sunday morning, was called off at 2.30pm.

"Sadly nothing further has been found today," a statement said.

Units that helped with the search included Newhaven and Eastbourne RNLI lifeboats, Eastbourne and Birling Gap Coastguard Rescue Teams and several local fishing vessels.

The Joanna C is a 45ft scalloping vessel registered in Brixham. Its last known location was three nautical miles off the coast of Seaford, near Newhaven.

A GoFundMe page set up to support the families of the two missing men has so far raised more than £3,500.

Donations will be passed to the Fishermen's Mission, a charity providing practical, emotional and financial support to fishermen and their families, which will distribute it to those affected.

Organiser Tony Rowe said on the page: "Our prayers are with those directly involved and the wider community who all have been affected in some way."

Now On Air
More Music on Coast FM
More music on Coast FM