The virus has also made its way into the worlds of sport, film, politics and royalty.
Here we take a look at some of the noteworthy figures to have contracted the illness.
Prince Albert II of Monaco
The 62-year-old reigning monarch confirmed he had tested positive for the virus on Thursday.
However, a palace statement said his health is not worrying.
He is the first head of state who has publicly said he has contracted the virus.
The palace said he is being treated by doctors from the Princess Grace Hospital, named after his US actress mother.
It says Albert is continuing to work from his home office in the palace and is in constant contact with members of his government.
The European Union's chief negotiator for its future relationship with Britain after Brexit has confirmed he has coronavirus.
Mr Barnier tweeted that he is doing well and is in good spirits.
He wrote: "I am following all the necessary instructions, as is my team.
"For all those affected already, and for all those currently in isolation, we will get through this together."
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson
The Hollywood couple said they were taking it "one day at a time" in quarantine after contracting the coronavirus.
Hanks and Wilson, both 63, confirmed they had tested positive for the disease on Thursday 12 March.
In an Instagram post, Hanks wrote: "Hello folks. @ritawilson and I want to thank everyone here Down Under who are taking such good care of us.
"We have COVID-19 and are in isolation so we do not spread it to anyone else.
"There are those for whom it could lead to a very serious illness.
"We are taking it one-day-at-a-time."
The British actor confirmed he had contracted COVID-19 on Twitter on Tuesday 17 March.
The actor said he felt fine and had no symptoms, but had been isolated since he found out that he may have been exposed to the virus.
In a tweet he said: "This morning I tested positive for COVID-19. I feel ok.
"I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus.
"Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I'm doing. No panic."
Arsenal's head coach Mikel Arteta tested positive for the coronavirus and self-isolated in line with government guidelines.
He wrote on Twitter: Thanks for your words and support.
"Feeling better already. We're all facing a huge and unprecedented challenge.
"Everyone's health is all that matters right now."
Chelsea's entire men's squad self-isolated after winger Callum Hudson-Odoi also contracted COVID-19.
Games of Thrones star Hivju, who played the wildling warrior Tormund Giantsbane, self-isolated with his family after contracting the illness.
He wrote in an Instagram post: "We are in good health - I only have mild symptoms of a cold.
"There are people at higher risk for who this virus might be a devastating diagnosis, so I urge all of you to be extremely careful; wash your hands, keep 1,5 meters distance from others, go in quarantine; just do everything you can to stop the virus from spreading."
The actress and former model said she had "never felt this ill" after contracting the virus.
She posted on Twitter: "I want to thank you all for your good wishes. Sam and I have had COVID-19 symptoms and are in isolation so we do not spread it to anyone else. We are taking it one-day-at-a-time, that's all we can do.
"But let me tell you we've never felt this ill, EVER!"
The 51-year-old Watch What Happens Live presenter wrote on Instagram he had been in quarantine after feeling ill for "a few days" and has now been diagnosed with the virus.
He added: "I want to thank all the medical professionals who are working tirelessly for all of us, and urge everybody to stay home and take care of themselves."
Former GMTV host Fiona Phillips said she had symptoms including a sore throat and dry cough but was "fine" and "not suffering".
Phillips, 59, tweeted: "I am in bed with #coronvirusuk It's not a very pleasant bedfellow, but nothing more than sore throat, dry cough, headache and tiredness. As long as it stays that way....DON'T panic!"